Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Posted by Chris Signorelli on 22 April, 2005 - 9:49 am

I need advice on how to send SMS messages to many mobile phones upon the occurance of alarm tags in a PLC. I've already tried using a GSM modem (Sony Ericsson GM29) with alarm monitoring software such as: GSM-Control, MovBridge and U.C.ME and have limited success. Most of the problems have been with the GSM modem. I would like to know if someone has had experience with this technology and how they achieved the task.
The requirements of my system are the following:- No phone line available. Hence the need fora GSM modem.- No hardware alarm diallers (No moreavailable hardware outputs on PLC).- Alarm Monitoring Software.- Software that supports OPC communications.- Software must support multiple messagerecipients.- Software must support multiple alarms.- Cost: around $1500 AUD.
The PLC I'm using is an Allen Bradley ControlLogix L55 the software I'm using is RSView SE Studio, RSLinx and RSLogix 5000.
One thing I've been thinking is that although most software claims support for standard GSM modems (maybe due to the apparent infancy of software in this area) not all GSM modems are really supported. I'm thinking of trying out the Siemens MC35 GSM modem.
Has anyone successfully used this modem in this kind of application?
Some feedback on a solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment